Sole Proprietorship

The good news is that no agreement is required to be made and the registration is not mandatory!

However, the owner proprietor may be required to obtain other licenses to carry business in the state such as a CST/VAT Registration, Service Tax Registration, Registration under the local Shops and Establishments Act, Registration for the purposes of Employees Provident Fund, 1952 and Employee’s State Insurance Act, 1948.
In Tamil Nadu, registration under the Tamil Nadu Shops and Establishments Act, 1947 is not a mandatory requirement.

Return to Home Page


  1. Its nice to know these things. I would like to know if the trademarks,patents or copyrights can be registered under name of sole proprietorship entity ?

    • legalstartups

      Hi, thank you for visiting. To answer your question, yes, that can be done. Trademarks can also be registered under an individual’s name.

  2. Hi, I am from Punjab, I am looking to setup small IT company with less than 10 employees, do I need to register the FIRM name, we deals in freelancing work like website development and all. Do we need VAT number or any other trademark. Please advise.

    Thanks in advance.

    • legalstartups

      You will need to decide the nature of your entity, i.e. Company/LLP/partnership firm. Accordingly you will need to incorporate the entity by applying to the RoC or register the partnership deed with the Registrar, as the case may be. Post this, you will need to get the basic registrations for an IT/ITES company, i.e. PAN Card, bank account, TAN, registration under Shops & Establishments Act, VAT.

  3. abhinav

    Hi! I am planning to start an e grocery store in Pune. Do i need register my company. And if yes, where that can be done. Also do I need to have VAT registration, service tax registration and registration under local shop and establishment act. Please guide.

    Thanks in advance.

  4. Sir,

    I am running a coaching Institute. Its a proprietorship firm. I have launched an website for selling online courses.
    I am also planning to launch a career magazine soon.
    Now do I integrate my website legally into my firm?
    Should I have to trademark my website?
    Should I have to convert my firm into LLP/ PVT Ltd?
    What are my options?
    Please guide me?

    Thanks & Regards
    Hasanuj Jaman

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s